Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Things I'll Miss From Here

To give some equal time to my home of the last two years, some things I'll miss.

1. The birds. They are spectacular. Parrots and all kinds of strange (well for me) birds. They rock.

2. Not having a car. I know it sounds strange, but there is a certain freedom (financial and otherwise) in not having a car. You never have to worry about breaking down or paying registration or insurance, and you only need someone sober enough to figure out how to get everyone home.

3. The campus. The campus at this University is gorgeous. It sits at the base of a mountain (unfortunately with a big tower on it) which is a mountain sacred to the Ngunnawal people, the Aboriginal people of the Canberra area. There are lots of open spaces on campus and gorgeous trees, a lake, a stream and lots of ducks. I've also seen bunnies and foxes run across campus in the early mornings and evenings.

4. The beauty of Australia. The land itself is really beautiful, sort of in the way the desert is beautiful. Rugged and desolate in places, with unexpected things like a little forest in the middle of nowhere.

5. Kangaroos. I still get excited when I see them. Except when they're dead along the side of the road. I've actually had more than one conversation about what we would do if we hit a kangaroo but didn't kill it. It's a concern. (Also, a tip for the intrepid traveler here - when you rent a car, make sure you get the full insurance coverage. The cheaper coverage does not include coverage if you hit a kangaroo - as though you would do it on purpose.) Also, I'd like to go on record as saying that I have not eaten kangaroo, even though it may be tasty and eco friendly. Remember, people consider them pests here.

If I think of other things, I'll post them too. But that's enough for right now.

No comments: