Monday, September 27, 2010

Earthquake and Other Disaster Movies

Here's another link to an excellent quake site. http://quake.crowe.co.nz/
The first aftershock was less than 1km from my house - literally right down the road. In fact, many of the first aftershocks were right around my house. Depending on your source there have been as many as 1000+ aftershocks in just over three weeks.

Damage report:
Drains leading to septic tank have moved and there is some water seeping up top. Waiting for the Earthquake Commission inspector to visit and approve the repairs. Will involve pulling up the concrete pads behind the house and the back deck. I have DVDs of our drains. Come on over to watch them - I'll provide the popcorn.

Several cracks where the ceiling and walls meet that weren't there before.

The house seems (for lack of a better word) "bouncier". We're going to have a builder out again to check the foundations. A lot of damage happens in the subsequent quakes so might be a good idea.

Damage to psyches - extensive. We still haven't moved all of our emergency supplies out of the front hall. There is a moment whenever a truck or train goes by that everyone stops and works out whether it is another quake or just a truck. Sometimes it's hard to tell. The dog has hit his head on the coffee table numerous times as he likes to sleep under there and every time the house starts shaking he jumps up. Formerly aloof lady cat now sleeps on or next to the bed every night. Waking in the middle of the night now involves lots of turning on of lights, and I have to admit I now take a flashlight to the bathroom. And just when you forget...another aftershock pops up.

All in all though, we are extremely lucky. Some people have lost their homes and may be forced to rebuild on the same land, but are afraid that they will lose money because no one else will want to live there. And they don't want to live there either.

At least we're ready for the next big one!

2 comments:

prettygoodlife said...

Wow.

After I read your first report, I remember thinking I wanted to respond but I couldn't think of anything to say. And I still can't.

Wow.

I'm glad you guys are ok.

p.s. If it doesn't make me seem shallow, can I tell you that I LOVE the new wallpaper? Where did you get that? I need to go back to making regular updates to my blog and your very cool wall paper is inspiring.

Basiljaz said...

Your shallowness is one of the things I like most about you :).
It's one of the templates. I like it too.

And please do post. I miss you.