Friday, March 19, 2010

Guess What I Saw Today?

Here in NZ we have a celebrity chef who has become famous for hosting a show about NZ cooking. It's a great show and I love watching it. He also does advertising for a supermarket chain. I see his cardboard cutout visage every time I visit the local supermarket.

He also happens to work for the University.

I work in an old house on the edge of the campus. We have our own parking lot out the back (parking, much like Universities in the U.S., is a scarce resource here). There is a garage behind the house that is used to store various items from around campus, so from time to time trucks arrive to drop off or pick up said various items. It can be amusing due to the wide variety of stuff they drop off. Because we have so many people on the team at the moment, I often park in front of the garage. And also because I'm the boss so I get the closest not really a parking space. R.H.I.P.

Today I had to move my car so that Celebrity Chef could offload a giant (we're talking big assed) chandelier into the garage. He was accompanied by what was probably a grad student with an old dog. We had a pleasant and meaningful conversation about how many chandeliers he intended to move and that he wouldn't be going back and forth all day.

I just found the whole exchange oddly amusing. And I guess that's what I love about NZ - our Celebrity Chefs move their own chandeliers.

No comments: