Friday, June 26, 2009

Social Networking ...

Someone I went to high school with found me on Facebook through another person with whom we attended high school. Fine, whatever, it's bound to happen. I'm one of the few females my age who still has the same name as thirty years ago (did I just type that?). But then she starts scanning and posting photos of me from HS, including my graduation photo. First of all, there is twice as much of me as there was then. Secondly, I had pretty much every dire hairstyle invented in the 70s in those photos.

Then two other people whose names I recognize but am fairly sure I could not pick out of a lineup immediately commented on the photos and about me in particular. Apparently I was popular with that small ecosystem of choir and drama nerds. Apparently.

So I'm talking about it at work (I have to admit, the photos threw me so hard into the wayback machine that I have bruises) and someone I work with (who is the approximate age of the Kiwi's daughter) found me and sent me a friend request. And now, my work colleagues will likely see these dire photos. Which I don't really care so much about, but I reflect on the insidiousness of it all.

2 comments:

prettygoodlife said...

In the 1980's I had a dress that zipped in a spiral from my right thigh up around my waist and then ended at a sort of stand up pipe type of collar that was around 12 inches across. Dark blue. Goldenish/brassy zipper. And I used to wear it with four inch black leather spike heels that had a sort of zig zag on the side (black on black).

And, of course, my hair, which we won't go into.

I wish I had a picture of that outfit.

bk said...

I wish you still had that outfit. :)