Thursday, April 16, 2009

Lively Up Yourselves

Our very own micro blogosphere has been pretty downbeat lately (BK's birthday and donuts notwithstanding) so I thought I'd try to lighten the mood with some positive things.

1. Our business case for my upcoming project went over its first (and most major) hurdle. The Vice Chancellor approved it (which usually means that it will get approved the rest of the way since his support is crucial). He also said that we have set the standard for future business cases at the University. I contributed in a small way with some heart wrenching prose about why our solution was better and all the rest sucked.

2. I won $35 in Powerball last weekend. I'm going to Disneyland!

3. We're going to be Grandmas! The Kiwi's youngest (daughter) is having a baby with her partner in September I think (that is to say, I think that's the due date. I know about the baby part). I refuse to be called granny or nana or any of those other old lady names. I am leaning towards Abuela. The Kiwi (ever the linguist) pointed out that young children cannot pronounce words that start with a vowel and I said "Dude, tell that to the five billion Spanish speakers!!!" I reckon to be one of the first people in Australia OR NZ to be called Abuela. (Now I just need to learn to make tortillas). (Which I would TOTALLY love to learn).

4. I booked a trip to the USA to visit my family in July. The Kiwi can't go (mostly because she's having a grandchild, see number 3 above) and because the Masters degree takes precedence, but I'm going. I'm spending a week in Tahoe with MY ENTIRE FANDAMILY. This is something I haven't done since I was 21 and we went to Hawaii. I'm only a little scared. After all, I now have five nephews.

5. I got the moving company to pay for a damaged art work, even though it was less than the insurance excess. The movers, through gross negligence, shattered the glass on one of our only art pieces. I wrote a strongly worded letter (an homage to Titanic) to the moving company complaining about the poor customer service and incompetence of the moving team in Australia, and they agreed to refund the money for the repairs. Someday I may do a post on my success with strongly worded letters.

There! In one post we have a professional success, a financial windfall, the miracle of life, a family bonding experience and a moral victory.

How good is that?

3 comments:

prettygoodlife said...

Congratulations to Ms. S!!!

I think that's great. I hope she's healthy and doing well.

Abuela is lovely. Go with that!

prettygoodlife said...

Hey, was it that nude drawing? Bastards. Is it ok?

Basiljaz said...

Yes, it was the nude drawing. And yes, it's ok. Luckily we made them unpack it (if you could call it packing in the first place) and remove the broken glass. It mostly needed a new matt and glass.